Saturday 17 November 2012

Ned Kahn Science center in Switzerland


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWIhkvgg6MQ


The Ned Kahn Science center in Switzerland. I think that this building is truly inspirational. after studying the aplix factory design the facde treatement was something that caught my intrest and i came across this building. When I first saw the video I thought that what was being displayed on the facade of the building, a video installation of water ripples being projected on a massive scale across the building. In fact, the front of the building is covered in thousands of aluminum pads that move in the air currents and can show you the turbulence of the wind in detail. The overall look is breathtaking, it looks like metal water blowing in the wind or the body of a fish moving its muscles in and out. I was unaware until today that these techniques even existed as in the case of the blur project where the fog is used as building facade. The metal pads must be mounted on hinges or on pins so that that they can rotate in accordance with the changes in wind speed. It has given me lots to think about in terms of a way to be truly innovative and inspiring like this.  there is no real wind inside a building but there is lots of light to play with and there are drafts if I really wanted to go down the route of harnessing wind power. The key lesson from this is think outside the box, have a great concept and follow it through and you will have a thing of beauty in the end.The way technology can be used to create isslusions in buildings was something thatinspired me a lot. This was a really inspiring piece for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment